You say Tamada...I say Tomato..

 

I enjoy the people I work with...Everyday I usually  learn something new.   We have a variety of cultures mixed together under one roof, trying to groove together...and somehow it works.

Our religions, cultures, lifestyles, marriage partners all different.

Our uses for different words.

Take for example John. He hails from "Joisy".  The rest of us know this state as New Jersey.

He is our Rodney Dangerfield, from his speech, to the jokes, even his mannerisms.  He has had me on the floor rolling with laughter, from day one. Not with the jokes he tells, although they are funny.  The everyday speech he has...I find it hilarious.

When having a conversation with him, you must be on your toes, he as a very quick wit....His Joisy dialect Oi!...anyway, He was telling a story about correcting a credit card bill he received, he was talking to the credit card company, the person on the other end of this phone call happen to be a woman....Here is our conversation:

John: So's,  I tells this Tamada...

Me: excuse me....Did you just say Tomato?....

John: Yeah, this Dame I was...

Me: Dame?

John...Yeah, Dont yous understand me? Listen, Peaches if yous goin to keep interrupting we are never going to get tru dis story here...

Me: no more interruptions...I promise...As I'm biting my tongue with laughter...

John: Ok den...This Broad says....

I tell this story only to lead into my use of a word that was made fun of last night.

A few associates, including John were hanging around the Customer Service desk.  One elects to purchase a drink..as I am bringing up the sale, I say...Hey, buy me a Pop too, and I will pay you back when....John interrupts...

John...Hold a sec, Sweetheart..did you say Pop?  What's dis Pop? business here?

Me:...Yes, I said POP...you know like in Soda Pop...

John....Yeah, most peoples called it Soda..Whats wrong with yous...Dont you know dat Honey?

Me...Yous are making fun of Me?

John:  Nobodys making fun Sweetheart, I'm just trying to understands ya?  I thought yous wanted dis guy here to buy your Daddy, with yous saying Pop...dat's all....What gives?

Me: I give (raising my hands)...yous win...lol

John: Win, I win what sweetheart?

Me: Oi! ...lol

We are from the same country, but two completely different lifestyles

Yous know what I'm saying here?

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like he's a fun guy to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story. You and he both sound like fun people to be around. Thanks for that comment today. When those kids were small to teenagers, you would not believe what I saw and who they came to for help. I see their mother in them but I also see all of the grief she caused me. My neighbor has been picked up for DWI and had to go to meetings and his mom was so proud that he would not say as he was supposed to "I am an alcoholic." The story of that family is really hair raising and I think many people would never believe what I witnesed and was drawn in to because I felt sorry for the kids. Have a great day. Again thanks for believing me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There would never be a dull moment when working with that one for sure. It is funny how our lanquage changes from one part of the country to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Cindi; that was cute to read! its funny how each of us in different parts of the country have our own slang words for this or that; just like on Hollie's blog the other day she said "cream potatoes", had no idea what those were, which turned out to be mashed potatoes

    that's why journals are fun; we get to learn so much about our fellow citizens!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
I love hearing your comments, you can reply if you want.
Have a blessed day.

My History