I was so looking forward to this week...Another co-worker and I switched days, I took her Saturday, she took my Thurs...this was to give me 4 days off in a row...Unheard of in retail!!! REJOICE!
Along comes Sunday night....I was feeling a little tired, I knew trading days I would have to work a 9 day straight...our work weeks begin on Saturday...this was only day 7 two more to go, and they were easy 5 hour shifts, no biggie......
BIG PROBLEM....around 11:30...I started to get stiff...and awoke with the most horrific pain ...(I have RA)....I felt like Devinci medical man...all stiff..
I needed to get some meds, I knew I had a fever...I awoke hubby, telling him what was going on...if I didnt have to use the potty, it wouldn't have been so bad. EVERYTHING hurt....mentally I said, This is what ya get girl, you cant work 7 to 9 days in a row without the old RA saying hello....
I'm walking inch by inch, crying the whole time from the pain...hubby is witnessing this...asking am I sure I dont need emergency medical attention....I try to reassure him....lol
After that, I'm in bed....now the chills..
These are all common effects of RA...I just knew it was going to be a bad one...for some reason I have in my head that I am still "normal" physically....RA when it raises it's ugly head reminds me differently....
Hubby calls work for me & tells them I'm not coming in.....get this the Manager wanted to talk with me...hubby told him heck no...she's finally sleeping!! thx my man!....so I call in Mon....about Monday afternoon I start to get a scratchy throat, and sinus problems....GGGGREAT!....one thing I forgot to mention with RA is it lowers your immunity....LOVELY aint it!....so any cold, flu, what ever...I must be aware....Working in the public I knew the risks!
Tues comes around...I call in sick this time, I talk with a different manager...on Tues I still have fever, my head is the size of the Blimp....I blow, blow, blow...nothing....by this time I have started a drug cocktail of Tylenol, Mucinex DM to be taken every 6 - 8 hours....I have drank a gallon of OJ...I have had fruit with every meal....if you call oatmeal & soup a meal....
Wed...& today my head is less stuff...tho the chest is congested...I can sit up for longer periods of time, so I think I'm on the down side...
I think I have learnt a few things.., no more calling me in on my days off...my body needs the rest....if I trade make sure how many days in a row you'll work....and finally....RA + flu....stinks!
Ohhhhh girl....i hope you feel better real soon....every third week i work 7 days straight and it is the pits!!!
ReplyDeleteWarm hugs....LindaMay
7 days straight would do me in. I don't have any thing other than old age and when I need my rest...nothing works right. I tend to take life slow and easy as I can. Working a full 40 hour week is really more than I want to do but retirement is coming sometime next year and that thought keeps me going. Be good to yourself and rest.
ReplyDelete(((Cindi)))) sometimes its painful the lessons we learn, but I agree with you, with your RA, you need to make sure you have days of rest intermingled in with days of work; that would have been a grueling schedule for sure!
ReplyDeletehoping you feel better very soon!
betty
My dear girl, I know RA can be wicked, My Brother-in-law had it. God bless you as sick as you have been you kept track of my problems. Thank you so much Cindi for your prayers and good vibes. We now know almost for sure he is going to be ok. What a relief. As I said you all have been my support group. You know at nearly 80 my friends are gone. I don't even have decent neighbors but maybe that is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you listened to your body and got some rest. The swine flu has hit here in our town. so scary.
ReplyDeleteIf you have any trouble breathing please go to Dr.
My sil has RA and she has not worked for years. She is on disablity. .
I don't know how you made it as long as you did. That is too much for anyone.