Let's just start by saying......I never, absolutely never, as long as I may live, never ever want to do that again!
Ok, I think I got my point across...
I awoke yesterday to another beautiful sky in SWFL. It was "my turn" to drive "c-boy" to Gainesville. His buddy lives there, and they ride together to & from college...which is another 9 hrs away...usually 9 hours....(chapter 2)....
I awoke yesterday to another beautiful sky in SWFL. We have to take off early, it takes 3 1/2 - 4 hrs to get to Gainesville. Driving 75 - 80 mph... "C-boy" says his g-byes to brother & Hubby, off we go...
The roads are dry, (important) the skies are little cloudy...not the thunder boomer clouds, the ones you can see thru, that look like waves in water...So, we drive, enjoying the fall colors of Fl. Not too many people on the road, yet! We arrive in Gainesville in no time, take a potty break...I meet "C-boys" friend parents...I hug them instantly, tell them how fabulous their son is, (he's the one that took "c-boy to surgery in Louisville) anyway, I was so happy to let his parents know how his actions effected us....blessing!
It eased the g-byes when "c-boy" left. I only cried a little, I had to concentrate. I was now a solo pilot with a serious road trip ahead. My "little" teary episode cause me to wipe my eyes, which cause my contact to move around, leaving me with this feeling of an eyelash stuck in my eye...annoying!
Then I noticed the back door was ajar, so I make a quick exit, pull into a Cracker Barrel (always around) get out slam every door & trunk., hop back in contact moves again (annoying) put the car in drive....Folks...these are 2 signs...had I been paying attention..(but no).. I begin to enter hell.
It's not long until I notice traffic is much thicker than I like, and my beautiful skies are now grayish...the wind is gusting (not friendly). I'm handling the car as if its a semi, trying to keep her on the road, cuz our wind gusts are becoming more frequent, the skies darker...what is amazing about FL rain...you can see it. You can be 20 feet away dry as a bone, but ahead of you know, you'll be drenched in gallons of water...With the congestion of traffic taking longer than I would have liked to SLOW THEIR ARSES DOWN!!!!!!, but we did (AMEN love, love, love JESUS) The buckets, gallons, barrels, came...the bands of rain are down right awful...the storms move so quickly. I'm now driving (why?!?!) 25-30 mph, blades wiping the window not quick enough, contact now irritating the *&! out of me (causing me to blink every 1/2 second)., praying to Jesus, to keep me safe...watching the idiots zoom pass with their flashers blinking, Yes, thank you for telling me to have caution, but don't you think you could slow it down a notch or two?...holding on for dear life ...thinking..(damn contact)....(hope "c-boy" is safe)...(damn, my butt is sore) ...(damn, contact)...(wow, my hands hurt)....(damn what is with this contact)....With that said....the next 2 1/2 hours.....yes folks....2 1/2 hours...I caught the "front edge" of one Hellish storm...and drove.....drove home....Why??? I have credit cards in my wallet, I could have pulled over to a hotel...shopping near by...What on earth was I thinking...oh yeah (damn contact)...when I parked the car, and pried my crippled hands from the steering wheel, moved my RA body out of the vehicle with the rains still flowing sideways...drenching my body...walking as if I was 1000 years old into our home.....I rush (attempted) to the bathroom, stick my face in the mirror, remove damn contact....only to discover it's split in half..............
This is where I stopped........
Thank you Lord, I'm sorry....Thank you for giving me the ability to see where I was going.......
but did I have to have the rain?
OMG I was clutching my chair just reading that! What a nightmare! But you're right, He brought you through it...and with a split contact...amazing! Glad you made it home okay.
ReplyDeleteWow....I've driven thru things like that and it is scary but never with a torn contact. Gosh.
ReplyDeleteGlad all is ok.
Sonya
Bless your heart! That was awful and I thought I had it bad driving through one of those deluges a couple of months ago for only about fifteen miles. At one point I pulled over on the shoulder and it was zoom, zoom, zoom past me. Five minutes rest got me back in the trafic :( So glad you made it home ok, Cindi :).......
ReplyDeleteThis would be where I would pray "Jesus please take the wheel". I really enjoy your reads and shall return often. Take care with hopes you have another contact. Enjoy your Today!
ReplyDeleteKatie
oh my gosh, what a nightmare!!! I probably would have done the same as you; keep on driving; but it would have been so tempting to pull over and ride out the storm; I would have been praying too all the way; so glad you got home safe and sound. we can only hope in 2-1/2 weeks the weather will not be so unstable
ReplyDeletebetty
Oh wow, it was split in half!! Your poooooor thing! I can't imagine how that must have hurt. I'm so glad you made it home in one piece. What a harrowing trip! The things we mother's do!!!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, where does your son go to school? Sounds like maybe Kentucky? Could that possibly be?
I think college boy goes to the school Univ of Tenn beat last weekend? Are we right?
ReplyDelete