Pierre Paul was my assigned guru. If the computer was delayed from the nightly backup. I would arrive in the morning to an email identifying a problem or notation. A simple sterile message, directing your attention to that days hassles in the work environment.
Opening my office door, I noticed a email had been sent. Each night before going home I would properly prepare the rickety keyboard printer. I made sure a sufficient amount of paper in supply. I would double check the perforations, align the holes on the printers load bar.
I wonder what Pierre Paul had to tell me today.
**** Nightly backup delayed. Hour of operation available 9 am. ****79232PPL
Thank you Pierre Paul, I say silently. I wonder if he could be make a more cheerful message though? Operators seldom have the luxury to engage in a deep formal conversation. Just once it would be nice to see.
***Good morning everyone. I hope you slept well. The system had a bit of a struggle last night during back up. This will leave us with a delay until 9 am. So, please enjoy your coffee. You have time to make those copies you've put on the back burner. If the time changes we will inform immediately. ***79232PPL
Once or twice I called Pierre to ask him a tech question, but he's main function as far as I was concerned was a paperboy. He said, if I wanted my supply faster to call him instead of email. He received too many email messages, my paper request could get loss in the masses.
The current email baffled me. It was more elaborate than any previous message I had ever received. It was possible to have a human-like conversation. It started with a Hello. That was a nice greeting. How's the weather on the 3rd floor today?
Hum?...Who would be sending this email about the weather? The Operators in Building One know very well what our weather is like today. If this is a joke, I wonder if I will get into trouble typing an email about weather? Who's handle sent this message? I don't recognize those initials. About this time the old keyboard printer came to life again. Spitting out another message.
****Hello, I saw you car in the parking lot, so I know you're here today. Are you going to talk to me today, or are you mad at me?**** 82374FTL
Saw my car? Who is FTL? I know a Phillip Lancer, but his 1st initial begins with a P. There's a guy named Frank, he works in Building Two as a tester. I don't know Frank's last name. I rarely interact with either of them. What about this 3rd floor? and Who am I mad at?

A definite riddle you had to try to solve! That would be perplexing until you figured out where it had come from.
ReplyDeletebetty
It was a long time before I used e-mails. Now it is a norm. BUT am I looking at a new flock of Flamingos's or is that your ofl office workers?
ReplyDeleteOKAY, you have us on the hook, who IS IT? MAYBE THEY COUNT THE ARKING LOT AT FLOOR 1, huh?