![]() |
This year I'm stepping out of the comfortable "traditional" box. EEk! I will be making something different for our Christmas eve dinner. I know, total craziness.
I have always made the same super size meal. Rib roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, fried green beans with bacon, sweet dinner rolls and to top off the desserts, yes plural desserts for our Christmas eve meal. I told the guys this year, I am making it easy for myself. Merry Christmas to me. I will make baked ziti, served with a nice green salad. Simple easy peasy.
The menfolk were a tad concerned, but I did not mess with Christmas day meals. I do know my limits. For breakfast the traditional menu will be intact: French toast casserole, sausage meatballs, fruit salad. Egg nog, and COFFEE. This will only last til mid day. For lunch my plan is hot ham/swiss sammies, chips & dip. Christmas day dinner will be hot wings, french fries, fresh vegs.
I not only broke with our traditional Christmas eve meal. I did not make the normal cookies, fudge, frosted flake wreaths, lemon tarts, and all the other sweet treats I normally exhaust myself baking the week before Christmas. I must say I rather like this "easier" traditional. I should have started with this easier version as our family tradition years ago. What can I say, I guess I'm a slow learner. I did bring out a old recipe this week. I made raisin tarts.
This recipe is from hubby's gma. Though Hubby grew up in So California, his family is from Michigan, and Canada. This recipe represents the northeast very well. She shared her recipe with me when we were newly weds. I rarely make this overly rich, sweet treat. Thus keeping them special when I bake them for the family. Whiskey sure warms your inners, so I would recommend making them during the bitter cold wintry nights.
Recipe: Raisin Tarts
1# raisins
2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1/4# butter melted
pinch salt
Soak 1# raisins in warm water (or whiskey if preferred) while making the pie crust.
Roll crust , cut tart size portions, place crust into greased cupcake or tart pans. Mold accordingly.
Mix together eggs, sugar, salt and butter. Drain raisins add to mixture. Spoon mixture into pan. Bake 375 degrees until crusts brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Makes about a dozen.


Good for you for breaking out of previous tradition and starting new traditions. I think your meals for Christmas Eve and Day sound delicious!!! The easier the better in my opinion!
ReplyDeletebetty
The new plan seems good to me. We have aged out, since we are away from much family, we are real simple.
ReplyDeleteBut even your 'change' in menus sounds delicious to me. I know the family will be VERY happy with the baked ziti and salad. I cna almost smell it.
Love from the World of Mickey and Minnie.
You go girl!!! I'm making it easier on me too this year! I ordered my ham and turkey!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!
ReplyDeleteAbout the bar....I have been to restaurants like Applebees, Longhorns, & etc ... BUT NEVER to what I CALL A REAL BAR with a band, dancing and etc. LOL