I made Rhubarb/strawberry pie. The recipe came from Gma's recipe card book, seen pictured to the left. The card book dates 1965. Clippings from her local newspaper. I luv going thru this recipe book. The clippings are fragile, brittle worn newspaper. The ladies of the town "sharing" their families secrets or best recipes...Blogging done 1965 style.
Recipe: Rhubarb Crumb Pie
Mrs J Schmiededbaner Wichita KS
Preheat oven 350
1c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1c sugar
1c oats
1/2c melted butter
3c rhubarb chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1Tbsp water
Save a TBSP of flour for rhubarb filling. In a bowl mix flour, oats, 1/2c sugar, salt. Add melted butter, mixed together until crumbly. Take 1/2 of crumble mixture, press into a 9" pie pan. Combine rhubarb, remaining sugar, TBSP of flour, cinnamon. Stir ingredients together, add water. Place on top of oat crust. Take remaining oat mixture, crumble on top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown & bubbly.
Note: I added strawberries to the rhubarb mixture, cuz I had them. I imagine apples would be a nice mix with the rhubarb too. I also, used brown sugar in my crumb oat mix. I used white sugar for the rhubarb mix. Just cuz I could. lol
Hope you enjoy Mrs J Schmiededbaner pie!

That looks delicious!! I love old recipes and recipe books!!
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious though I've never had rhubarb pie. Will have to try a piece some time. Hubby's mom had a tin can full of cut up recipes from newspapers that we found going through her stuff. I wonder if she made any of them or just collected them? She liked to cook and had lots of cookbooks that we passed on to the local goodwill store.
ReplyDeletebetty
Strange growing up I thought I was well rounded, looking back it was funny, I did not see a pizza until I was 16 and NEVER had rhubarb pie until I was 66 yrs old. Now I love it. (Pizza also by the way!)
ReplyDelete