Another chapter ...




Well, the holidays swept thru swiftly.  We have adjusted to our new routine, I do not like it, but we have adjusted.

We're learning bunches of info on kidney disease. Water retention is a daily issue. My previous entry I mentioned Eldest upcoming surgery, it was successful, and we are almost at the point of approval for it's use.

 The surgery he had was a fistula.  The surgery marry's a vein to an artery.  This builds up the vein for multiple site penetrations.  Necessary for being hooked up to a dialysis machine. The 1st surgery Eldest had while we were still at the hospital.  The catheter is inside his body, the only thing we see is the red/blue lines dangling outside is chest. This is temporary.



The reason for "temporary" is there are a host of issues (infections) that can happen, weakening the heart muscle not a good idea. Some people only want the catheter.  Rule #1 is to not let the lines get wet. Absolutely no swimming allowed!!! Or being submerged in water.  Showering is allowed, but the area needs to be protected.

For good reason I've become a nervous nelly every time Eldest wants his shower. The hospital sent us home with a couple of hospital grade plastic wraps.  I looked into purchasing something similar at the drug store, too expensive of course, and insurance will not cover the cost.  Now left to my own devices I finally found what I think is a pretty good idea.  I take the dangling red/blue plastic tubes slip them into a latex glove.  Tape the glove, cover the remaining area with a freezer bag, that I cut to a 6x6 square covering the gauze patch that the dialysis nurse changes each visit.  Then I tape the whole thing with athletic tape.  The whole prep takes about 5 minutes. 

 Eldest knows it's important, but would rather just jump into the shower and be done with the whole procedure. I can't blame him, but as I said earlier I'm a nervous nelly, the whole time he's enjoying his shower, I'm pacing hoping my tape job is holding up.  I'm explaining everything because, Eldest has had a few issues during dialysis.  

The machines beeps alerting the nurses to issues.  One main issue was the catheter was clogging up during treatment. This is bad, because the kidney's are not getting cleaned.  Of course I knew I was responsible, because each time they had an issue Eldest had a shower the previous day.  So I was thinking I wasn't covering the catheter area enough or something.  Which isn't the case, but in my mind...anyway....

When Eldest received the fistula, he got a new catheter replaced at the same time. The surgeon calmed my nerves. I explain my taping route prior to his showering.  He said the clogging happens frequently, reminding us why they want the catheter temporary. 

Jumping forward a few weeks, the Wed before Christmas we take Eldest to the ER, because he's experiencing shortness of breath. He tells us his heart is heavy.  He had his shower hours earlier in the day, so I'm now convinced I'm totally responsible no matter what anyone says.  Long story short, we found out he was retaining fluid around his heart.  Now, this is a game changer.  We knew fluid retention is an issue.  Previously we've seen it in his feet/ankles, or hands, but now understanding it can and will retain wherever...Oi!  Dialysis was able to remove the excess fluid.  Thankfully there was no need to stay in the hospital at Christmas. 

 No matter what the surgeon has said, I now am no longer taping Eldest for his shower.  He is only allowed to shower when Hubby is home. 
So far, no issues...yay!





4 comments:

  1. WOW, what a roller coaster ride. Prayers for ease and less stress. Mamas carry a heavy load.
    TAke care and I hope the New Year brings a soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good you adjusted to the new routine; I wouldn't like it either; not comparing humans to dogs, but I never liked giving Koda his insulin shots and we did that for 4 years; but yet we adjusted; so I do understand. You do what you have to do to give the best health you can to those that you love. I too would be nervous about getting the ends wet; I think it is good that you turned showering responsibilities over to your husband for only when he is at home. I do hope 2016 is a peaceful one for you and yours.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it has been a stressful time for you all! I understand how you feel as I'd be the same way!! Know that I'm always thinking and praying for you all!! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

  4. Prayers that you get The Eldest on the transplant list. It sounds as though you guys are handling the Dialyses better than most. Prayers there also. Wishing only the BEST your way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
I love hearing your comments, you can reply if you want.
Have a blessed day.